Are you getting tired of the long process of shutting down or restarting your computer? This process is where you go to the Start menu and select Turn Off or Shut Down and then make a selection again if you want to restart or shut down your computer. To avoid all these hassles, you can create shortcut icons either on your desktop or in your quick launch area. Just follow these simple steps.
- Right-click anywhere on your desktop.
- Go to New -> Shortcut. A wizard will then pop up and walk you through the steps.
- In the "Type the location of the item:" box, enter this code: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r (This is to restart the computer).
- Click Next when you're done.
- In the box that says "Type a name for this shortcut," enter in whatever you'd like such as "Restart PC" or just simply "Restart".
- Click Finish to complete the process.
To create the shutdown icon, just follow the same steps but enter this code instead: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s
and then name it Shut Down.
You should now have 2 extra icons in your desktop. You can also add them to your quick launch area if you want. Very simple, right?
Keep on checking our blog for more computer tips and tricks. Also, register for computer classes at any Orange County library. Remember these classes are free for Orange County residents.
For more information, call us at 407.835.7323
or check it out www.ocls.info