« Crafts and Arts Programs at Southwest March 24 | Main | Tech News to Use - Cyberbullying »

Computer Tips and Tricks: Web Site Shortcuts

Recently, we posted a blog on how to create Restart and Shutdown shortcut icons. Now you will learn how to create desktop shortcut icons of your favorite web sites. It's very simple to do and there's a couple of ways to do this:

First way:
  1. Right-click on your desktop and select New, Shortcut.
  2. new shortcut.JPG
  3. When the wizard window pops up, type in the Web address of the site you want to add. (Do keep in mind that it has to be a Web site with the normal "www") Click Next.
  4. type in.JPG
  5. Type in a shortcut name for that Web site.
  6. name.JPG
  7. Click Finish when you're done. You will now see a new icon on your desktop.
  8. ocls icon.JPG

Second way:
  1. Open your browser and go to the Web site you want to create a shortcut for.
  2. Look in the address bar at the top and you'll see a little Internet Explorer icon.
  3. dragging icon.JPG
  4. Drag the icon with your mouse and just drop it in your desktop.
  5. A new icon for it will then appear and you can then right-click the icon, choose Rename, give it a name, and then press Enter in your keyboard to lock the name of the new icon
  6. southwest blog.JPG
When you're ready to visit the site, just double-click on the icon and you will be taken to it automatically.

Keep on checking our blog for more computer tips and tricks. Also, register for computer classes at any Orange County library. Remember these classes are free for Orange County residents.
For more information, call us at 407.835.7323 or check it out www.ocls.info

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not include your e-mail address in your comments. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.