Southwest Book Club Meets April 7
Copies of this book may be reserved for home delivery or location pick-up at http://www.ocls.info
Anyone age 18 or older is welcome to attend. The book club meets monthly at the Southwest Branch Library.
For more information, please call 407.835.7323 or email email@example.com
If you are unable to attend the meeting or you would like to join our discussion, you can share your thoughts or respond to the discussion questions below. Simply click "Comments" located at the bottom of this post. Join the discussion!
1. What were your first impressions of the main characters? Who did you like best initially? Which, if any, surprised you by the end? Whose transformation was most complete?
2. William Blake's first two appearances in the novel are quite striking (p. 19- wearing a bonnet rouge; p. 27 -having sex in his backyard shed). What significance does this have for him as a character? What did you expect of him after these prominent glimpses?
3. Life in Georgian times was unpredictable and dangerous. How does Chevalier use this precariousness to enrich the story? What role does economics and class play?
4. How much did you know about the political background of the story? Would you have signed the loyalty oath? What did it reveal about Dick Butterfield's character when he signed? About Thomas Kellaway's when he refused?
5. Discuss the novel's ending. Which volume do you think Blake intended for Maggie, and which one for Jem? What do you think the future holds for these two characters?
Discussion questions obtained from http://readinggroupguides.com