Southwest Book Club Meets October 26
The Southwest Book Club will meet on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 7:00 p.m. at the Southwest Library to discuss Hiding in the Spotlight by local author Greg Dawson. In this remarkable biography, Dawson, a consumer columnist at the Orlando Sentinel writes about his mother, pianist Zhanna Arkashyna. Zhanna's life changed in 1941 when her Jewish family from Ukraine were led along with thousands to their execution by the Nazis. Zhanna, a gifted piano prodigy managed to escape and use her rare musical gift to survive the Holocaust.
Anyone age 18 or older is welcome to attend. The book club meets monthly at the Southwest Branch Library. For more information, please call 407.835.7323 or email email@example.com
Copies of this book may be reserved for home delivery or location pick-up at http://www.ocls.info
For more information, please call 407.835.7323 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are unable to attend the meeting or you would like to join our discussion, you can share your thoughts or respond to the discussion questions below. Simply click "Comments" located at the bottom of this post. Join the discussion!
1. What is Zhanna's most admirable quality? Is she someone you would like to know?
2. What did you learn about the time period in which the book is set that you did not previously know?
3. Compare this book to similar titles the Southwest Book Club has read (The Zookeeper's Wife, The Book Thief). Did you like it more or less than the similar titles? Why?
4. What is the significance of the title?
5. What do you think will be your lasting impression of the book as a whole?
Discussion questions obtained or adapted from