Southwest Book Club Meets January 17
Join the Southwest Book Club this month to discuss The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai on Tuesday, January 17 at 7:00 p.m. in the Meeting Room. In this delightful, funny, and moving first novel, a librarian and a young boy obsessed with reading take to the road when the boy runs away from his parents who force him to attend anti-gay classes with a celebrity pastor. But who is really running away?
Anyone age 18 or older is welcome to attend. The book club meets monthly at the Southwest Branch Library.
For more information, please call 407.835.7323 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unable to attend the meeting or you would like to join our discussion, you can share your thoughts or respond to the discussion questions below. Simply click "Comments" located at the bottom of this post. Join the discussion!
1. Who is the "borrower" in the novel?
2. Under what circumstances is it acceptable to take a child away from his/her parents? Based on what you know about Janet Drake, is she an "unfit" parent?
3. Does one have to first become a parent or in Lucy's case, a parent proxy in order to come to terms with one's own parents?
4. In many ways, The Borrower is Lucy's coming-of-age story as much as it is about Ian. Is she, like Jim in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn freed at the end of the novel, or like Humbert in Lolita, diminished by her experiences?
5. What were the seminal books of your childhood? Are any of them mentioned in The Borrower?
(Discussion questions obtained from http://us.penquingroup.com/static/rguides/us/borrower.html)