Southwest Book Club Meets November 20
Join the Southwest Book Club to discuss the book, The Confession by John Grisham on Tuesday, November 20 at 7:00 p.m. in the Meeting Room. This psychological thriller by best-selling author Grisham is the story of an innocent man about to be executed and the guilty one who only can save him. But will the guilty one be able to convince the lawyers and judges of their error?
Anyone age 18 or older is welcome to attend. The book club meets monthly at the Southwest Branch Library.
For more information, please call 407.835.7323 or email southwest (at) ocls.info.
If you are unable to attend the meeting or you would like to join our discussion, you can share your thoughts or respond to the discussion questions below. Simply click "Comments" located at the bottom of this post. Join the discussion!
1. Grisham has received criticism that his characters are one-dimensional--either all good or all bad, depending on which side of the death penalty issue they fall on. Do you agree? Or do you feel his characters are fully drawn? What about Keith Schroeder?
2. Grisham has also been criticized for straying from his signature suspense fiction to push his views on the death penalty. Do you agree with those critics? Should Grisham, as a writer of fiction, stay away from hot button political issues? Or should he to use his popularity as a fiction writer to speak out? Does your answer to that question align with your attitude toward the death penalty?
3. How is your reading of this novel affected by the knowledge that much in the book is based on actual events, not just in Texas but in other states as well?
4. Have you learned anything new about the working of the legal system in this country? Do you see it in a different light because of Grisham's book?
5. What are your views regarding the death penalty? Has your perspective been changed by reading this book? Do you see Grisham's book as a fair--or unfair--portrayal of the legal system and death penalty issue?
Discussion questions obtained from litlovers.com